Saturday, June 28, 2008

INTRO

I’ve been in Thailand for the better part of the last fifteen years. Originally from New Zealand, I first came here on a scuba diving trip and, within a few months, I decided that I liked the place so much that I moved here permanently.

I spent my first few years in Phuket working in the scuba diving industry and, after some interesting but not necessarily financially successful experiences, moved north to Pattaya. I spend approximately six months of the year in Thailand while the other six months is devoted to working overseas in the oil and gas industry. While I’m in Thailand I split my time fairly evenly between Pattaya and Bangkok with the odd excursion out to some of the great places to visit and explore in this fascinating land.

The name for this blog, Thai-Tales, is one which I didn’t think too long and hard about, I just wanted to use something which was short and to the point. The purpose of Thai-Tales is to provide good and factual information, gained from my own experiences of living and travelling in the LOS (land of smiles).

For those that log on thinking that this going to be another line of comment on the night entertainment industry, here in Thailand, you’ll be disappointed. Sorry, but that’s a subject which has been done to death and I really don’t have a lot to add.

There are other blogs/sites out there which specialize in the subject of ‘Thai ladies of the night’. The bottom line, for P4P activities, is fairly mundane – sex for money – take it or leave it. The fact is that there’s a hell of a lot better things you can do with your time and money than be immersed in the shenanigans of Walking Street, Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza.

For those that are planning to travel to Thailand, I hope what I have to say will help you avoid some of the pitfalls that are quite often encountered when visiting here. For those that live here, no doubt you’ll have your own opinions on my subject matter. Some may agree, others may think it’s a load of manure. Whatever the case, I look forward to your comments.

No comments: